Nearly-Midnight The genealogy website relating to the family. A tangled web of people all related to one another, explore!
Robert Clark The Father of Henry Martyn-Clark - A missionary out in the North-West Frontier of India. One of the first Europeans to set foot in Afganistan
Affetside Census
A small village north of Bury, Lancashire, I can trace many of my immediate ancestors from there. On the Roman Road, Watling Street
Andrew Martyn-Clark My Father and his part in my World. Also my mother and his parents too.
Henry Martyn-Clark My Great Grandfather, his roots and his achievements. Discusses malaria but also his confrontations with Islam.

Update!


Many photographs have been added! LazylikeSunday.net home page lists them Please copy and reuse them - a link to LazylikeSunday will be much appreciated!

Monday 25 April 2011

Walshaw War Memorial

Walshaw War Memorial
Walshaw is situated  between Tottington and Bury, rather closer to Tottington. My father worked at Walshaw primary school, there is a picture here with his class. My Aunt Irene died in a rest home here too, so I have some quite poignant memories of Walshaw. However, Walshaw is a nice place. There is a huge church. It is known to the locals as "Walshaw Cathedral" and true to form, just about sits on the highest point of the village. The War Memorial doubles as a roundabout and a bus terminus, it is quite compact and is treated with all the proper reverence that it deserves. There is one inscription on the memorial that is important to me and that is Private W (Walker) Dunn. Walker Dunn was son of Walker Dunn and Eliza Hazelhurst. I believe that he had 6 other siblings. Walker died on the 2nd of July at the battle of the Somme and his name is also inscribed on the Pozieres Memorial in France.
The name Walker was an institution in the Dunn family. I can trace 5 Walkers in the family tree. The first name is Walker Greenhalgh who married into the Dunn family. There is more information here. There is a list of the inscriptions here
This memorial is on the National inventory of War Memorials as

                   WALSHAW

                                   UKNIWM Ref: 3245










2 comments:

  1. I have just returned from a Garden Party at Christ Church Walshaw primary school. The occasion is to celebrate the schools's 150th anniversary. Such a lovely little school and the children sang beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment - If you search you will discover that my father was a teacher there.

      Delete